I personally feel like flank steak is a highly underappreciated cut of beef. It is considerably less expensive per pound than many other steaks, it cooks a lot faster than thicker pieces of meat, and it is great for so many things from fajitas, salads, sandwiches and mostly as a vehicle for a delicious marinade. This Cilantro Lime Marinated Flank Steak is super easy to make, great to throw on the grill and serve to guests, low carb (only 1 net carb/serving!) and LOADED with flavor. Try it out for yourself and see!
Tips for making my Cilantro Lime Marinated Flank Steak:
- Don’t forget to score your flank steak. If you aren’t sure how to do this, it’s pretty simple. Make shallow cuts in two directions all across your steak to create a diamond pattern. This will severe the long fibers in your steak which will leave you with a more tender piece of meat. Your marinade will also be able to seep into those cuts resulting in even more flavor.
- If you have time, allow it to marinate for a full 24 hours. You will be glad you did when you bite into ultra tender and flavorful steak.
- When slicing flank steak, ALWAYS slice against the grain. Cutting against the grain gives you the most tender slices of meat.
- Don’t rush and immediately cut into your steak. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes first. Allow your meat to rest gives the juices a chance to redistribute.
Recipes that will go well with this one:
Products I recommend for this recipe:
I would love to hear what you think about this. Please let me know in the comments below, and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thanks and enjoy!
Cilantro Lime Marinated Flank Steak
- 2 lbs Flank Steak
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 2 limes juiced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Score both sides of your flank steak by making shallow cuts in a diamond pattern on each side of the steak. Place the steak in a large freezer bag.
- Add all of the other ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour this mixture over the steak and seal the bag. Massage the marinade all over the steak. Place in the refrigerator and allow to marinate for at least an hour or up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove the steak from the fridge and heat a grill, frying pan or broiler over medium high heat. Cook for approximately 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing against the grain and serving.