A few days ago, I asked the members of Hungry Six’s Recipe Swap what type of kitchen gadget they just couldn’t live without. So many people love their Instant Pots! I already had an Instant Pot, and I had used it several times, to make things like my carnitas, but people were just raving about how they used theirs to make all kinds of things. Someone was saying that she made pasta in hers, and I started to have doubts. I mean, the pasta has to be overcooked and an awful texture, right? Anyways, I had some chicken that I needed to use and some orzo left from a failed recipe attempt. I decided to create something based on those two things. This Instant Pot Chicken and Orzo was born, and it is so easy and delicious!
If you are not familiar with orzo, it is a short cut pasta that is just a little larger than a grain of rice. I am a fan of this one, but it is available in almost all grocery stores. Feel free to use another pasta for this recipe if you have a hard time finding orzo.
Products I recommend for this recipe:
If you do not already have an Instant Pot, I have and love this one, it is the perfect size for my large family, and it has just the right amount of “functions” for what I am doing.
How to Make This Recipe:
Making this Instant Pot Chicken and Orzo is incredibly simple. You will start by putting everything except for the parsley, lemon juice and cheese in the instant pot. Place the lid on, seal the vent and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes (the pot will take about 10-15 minutes to pressurize). Do a natural release for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release. Break the chicken up a little, add in the rest of the ingredients and allow it to rest and thicken for about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Chicken and Orzo
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups orzo pasta uncooked
- 2½ cups chicken broth low sodium
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 chicken breasts approx. 1.5lbs
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- To the instant pot, add the butter, garlic, orzo, chicken broth and heavy cream. Mix together. Season the chicken breasts with the salt, pepper and lemon pepper. Place the chicken on top of the pasta mixture. Place the top on the instant pot and move the vent to the "seal" position. Turn the pot on and select pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
- The pot will take approximately 10-15 minutes to reach pressure, and then the cook cycle will last 5 minutes. Allow the pot to naturally release for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release.
- Use two forks to break the chicken up slightly. Add in the parsley, lemon juice and parmesan cheese. Mix together and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.