I am a fan of ground turkey, but I sometimes struggle with ways to use it. Some foods that are typically made with ground beef just aren’t the same with ground turkey. Also, when ground turkey isn’t prepared just right, it can become dry and very lackluster. This recipe for The Best Easy Turkey Enchiladas is one that definitely puts that turkey to good use, and it is absolutely not lacking in flavor! This incredibly easy to make recipe is loaded with a fantastic homemade enchilada sauce, fresh cooked turkey, flour tortillas and lots of cheesy goodness. Try it out today!
Here are some tips for making The Best Easy Turkey Enchiladas:
- If you don’t have ground turkey, or you would rather not use it, you can use ground beef or shredded chicken in its place.
- To adjust the spice in this recipe, you can use more or less chipotles in adobo. We love our food spicy, so I typically use 5 or 6. If you are sensitive to spice, you could use less than 3.
- The homemade enchilada sauce in this recipe is so delicious and can be used for lots of different things. Go ahead and make double so that you can save some for later! You can freeze the sauce for up to 3 months in an airtight container or keep it in the fridge for up to a week.
These are the ingredients that you will need for this easy Mexican meal:
- Vegetable oil
- Chipotles in adobo
- Tomato sauce
- Chili powder
- Chicken stock
- Ground turkey
I recommend the following products for this simple homemade recipe:
I would love to hear what you think of this. Please let me know in the comments below, and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thank you and enjoy!
The Best Easy Turkey Enchiladas
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce minced more or less to taste
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion diced
- ½ cup cilantro
- 8 small tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese I used Mexican blend
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and garlic and sautee until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the minced chipotles, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and chicken stock. Mix togeter and allow to come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and allow the sauce to simmer.
- Preheat the oven to 400° and grease a large baking dish.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil, ground turkey and diced onion. Sautee & crumble the turkey until the turkey is cooked through and the onions become translucent, about 3 minutes. Add cilantro and 1 cup of the enchilada sauce and sautee 2 minutes.
- Put approximately ¼ cup of the turkey mixture in each tortilla and roll the tortilla up. Place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat this for each of the tortillas. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the rolled up enchiladas and sprinkle with the shredded cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
If you like this recipe, you may also like The Best Easy Chicken Enchiladas, Turkey Lettuce Wraps or my Chicken Enchilada Soup.
Thank you so much for stopping by. Please stay a while and check out some of my other recipes. I hope you come back soon! – Regan
The post above may contain affiliate links. I could make a small commission off of these links. Thank you so much for your support!
2 thoughts on “The Best Easy Turkey Enchiladas with Homemade Sauce”