Everyone knows that the best part of making homemade cookies is eating the dough. If you are like me, you have always eaten that stuff by the shovelful without ever thinking twice about salmonella or E. coli. I may not be concerned about giving myself food poisoning, but I am now responsible for the lives of four little ones, and they love cookie dough just as much as I do. This edible chocolate chip cookie dough recipe will satisfy your cookie dough craving without the risk of dying because of it.
Until a couple years ago, I thought eating raw cookie dough was only risky because of the raw egg. I learned that flour can also carry E. coli, which is typically killed when you bake your cookies. To kill off any potential bacteria in the flour, I microwaved it. When you microwave yours, be sure to stop a couple times to scrape the flour from the sides of the bowl, and to break up any clumps.
You could definitely roll this dough into cute little balls, or cut it into little squares or put it in shot glasses or whatever tickles your fancy. My family likes to stand over the bowl digging in with our hands and screaming at each other. Maybe that’s just us though…
Making this edible chocolate chip cookie dough is as simple as mixing the ingredients together and enjoying! It is ready to eat right away, or if you are some type of crazy person with superhuman willpower and you don’t eat it all right away, it can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer. Honestly though, my recommendation is to sneak it into the back of your closet and eat it all with a spoon while your kids aren’t looking.
Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter unsalted softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Kill off any potential bacteria in the flour by microwaving it. Place the flour in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 1 minute. Stop every 20 seconds and stir the flour with a fork. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl and break up any lumps. Set the flour aside to allow it to cool slightly.
- Cream together the butter and both sugars. Add In the vanilla and milk and mix. Add in the flour, and salt and mix again. Add the chocolate chips and fold in.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.