If you have never had Chimichurri, let me just tell you – you have been missing out! It is a beautiful, flavorful sauce that originated in Argentina. This recipe is for a verde (green) version that I use as both a marinade and a sauce. This recipe is great for this busy time of year, because you can throw the sauce together in 5 minutes or less, leave it to marinade all day and then grill it in about 10 minutes when you are ready for dinner.
One serving of the recipe below comes in at just 397 calories and only 1.5 carb! This is an excellent recipe for anyone doing a low-carb diet. I like to top mine with some extra Chimichurri. If you do that, add 85 calories and 1 carb for each 2 tablespoons of Chimichurri you use.
With flank steak, it is important to cook it over high heat, and do not overcook it. The MOST important thing to remember, though, is to cut AGAINST the grain when serving.
Pair this steak with a salad, fresh vegetables or some roasted potatoes and enjoy!
Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 1/2 lb flank steak
- chimchurri sauce see below
- Place the steak and 3/4 cup chimchurri sauce (half of the recipe below) in a large freezer bag. Seal the bag and rub the sauce around to ensure the steak is completely coated. Allow the steak to marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour or up to overnight.
- When you are ready to prepare the steak, heat your grill or a large skillet over high heat. Remove the steak from the bag and keep as much of the chimichurri on as possible. Cook the steak for approximately 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, or for longer depending on your taste. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing against the grain and serving. Top with additional chimichurri when eating.
- 1 bunch flat Italian parsley
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 large red onion peeled
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Place all ingredients in your food processor and pulse until smooth, but not completely liquified. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.