As far a packaged snacks from my childhood go, Honey Buns and Nutty Bars were definitely my favorite. I had heard of honey bun cake, so I decided to give it a try. When I started looking for a great recipe for this, I realized that none of them actually had honey. I also notice that all of them used a box cake mix. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a cake mix, but I wanted to have a recipe from scratch, so here it is! Now it’s time to get to work on a Nutty Bar dessert!
This base of this honey bun is a yellow cake, and I added sour cream to keep it from drying out. The cake has a delicious brown sugar and cinnamon filling and is topped with a honey glaze. I usually recommend letting cakes cool completely before serving, but this one is even better slightly warm. You could probably even have this cake with a cup of coffee for breakfast without too much judgement.
Making this cake is as simple as creaming the butter and sugar, mixing in the wet ingredients and then mixing in the dry ingredients. You will pour half of the batter in the dish, add the cinnamon sugar filling and then add the rest of the batter on top. After the cake is done, poke a few holes in it, pour the glaze on top, let it cool (or don’t!) and enjoy!
Products I recommend for my honey bun cake
I would love to hear what you think of this recipe. Let me know in the comments below, and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thank you and enjoy!
Honey Bun Cake
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 350º and grease a 13 x 9 in. baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the melted butter and granulated sugar. Add in the milk, vanilla, eggs and sour cream. Mix until well combined. Add in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix just until combined.
- In a small separate bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together.
- Spread half othe cake batter into the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top and spread it slightly to ensure even coverage. Pour the rest of the cake batter on top and spread it as needed. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until done.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners sugar, milk and honey well. Poke approximately 20 holes in the cake, and pour the glaze on top. Spread the glaze as needed to ensure the cake is covered. Allow to cool for at least 20 more minutes before serving.
If you like this recipe, you may also like my banana bread, zucchini bread or chocolate chip muffins.
3 thoughts on “Honey Bun Cake – Cinnamon Sugar Filling and Honey Glaze”
I’m totallu trying this recipe