For Easter, I made a recipe for Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches. I loved the idea of cookies and cream cheese icing combined, so I wanted to make another recipe like that. Red velvet cake and cream cheese icing are two things that I feel go together like peas and carrots, so they were an obvious choice for me.
If you would like to make these into sandwiches like the carrot cake cookies, feel free to double the cookie recipe and you will be good to go! These cookies could also be delicious with white or regular chocolate chips if you would rather not do the icing, but honestly the icing is amazing!
If you do not plan on enjoying these cookies right away, you can either wait to put the icing on until you are about to serve them, or you can ice them and keep them refrigerated until about an hour before you serve them. Just make sure you take them out of the refrigerator about an hour ahead of time so that the cookies can warm up and the icing can soften.
Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Icing
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp red food coloring
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325º and line a large baking pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Cream softened butter and both sugars together in your mixer on high speed for approximately 3 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, milk, vinegar and food coloring. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, salt and coca powder. Stir together and then add to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined but do not over mix.
- Scoop 12 equal sized balls of cookie dough onto the baking sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes. Cool completely before icing
- Make the icing by beating the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and sugar together on high speed for approximately 5 minutes.