My oldest daughter is absolutely obsessed with sprinkles. I am confident that if I let her, she would add sprinkles to every single thing she eats, and who can really blame her?! I often make baked goods with fruit or chocolate for breakfast (like these pancakes), but I have never really considered adding sprinkles. This morning, I suggested chocolate chips muffins for breakfast, and I could see how disappointed she was. I decided to change it up a bit and do birthday cake muffins instead!
Making these muffins is pretty straightforward, and you really don’t even need a mixer to prepare them. Just cream together the melted butter and sugar, mix in all of the other wet ingredients and then mix in the dry ingredients. I like to fill my muffin tins almost all of the way up, because who doesn’t love a good muffin top?! Bake them just until they are done – do NOT overcook them! Top them with a little butter and enjoy them warm!
If you have never used silicone baking cups, I definitely recommend them (these are great)! They peel off of the muffins so easily, and they are dishwasher safe. Just use them over and over and save yourself a little cash! Feel free to use regular paper liners, or even just a well-greased pan as well. Move your muffins to a cooling rack after you take them out of the oven so that they do not continue to bake in the pan.
I hope you love this recipe! Please leave a review and rating below.
Birthday Cake Muffins
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4` tsp salt
- 3/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375º and line a muffin pan with liners or grease it well.
- Cream together the melted butter and sugar. Add in the milk, vanilla, eggs and sour cream. Whisk together until combined.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine. Do not over mix! Add the sprinkles and fold in.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins and fill them almost completely (about 7/8 full). Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes.