No one ever said that soups, stews and chowders are only for the winter! This Summer Corn Chowder is the perfect way to enjoy a comforting bowl of chowder at this time of year. This chowder is loaded with fresh sweet corn, red potatoes, onion all it is all in a creamy broth. A bowl of this topped with crispy bacon and green onion is an amazing summer comfort food!
Of course, this chowder can be enjoyed all year long! It is definitely comforting and delicious no matter the season. Feel free to use frozen corn if fresh corn isn’t available. Also, you could add a jalapeño to this chowder if you want to spice things up a little. This chowder will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you would like to freeze this, I would recommend leaving the heavy cream out until you are ready to serve it. Without the cream, it will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
These are the ingredients that you will need to make my Summer Corn Chowder:
- Chicken broth
- Red potatoes
- Black pepper
- Heavy cream
- Green onion
Here are some products I recommend for this chowder recipe:
I would love to hear what you think of this! Please let me know in the comments below, and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thanks and enjoy!
Summer Corn Chowder
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 8 ears corn kernels cut off
- 1 lb red potatoes diced
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ heavy cream
- green onion for topping
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and cook the chopped bacon until crispy. Move the bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Drain ⅔ of the bacon grease from the pot, leave the rest.
- Return the pot to the stove and add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add the flour and stir until the onions are well coated. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth.
- Increase the heat to high. Add the corn, potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper. Allow to come to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the heavy cream and simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve with the bacon and green onion if desired.
If you like this recipe, you may also like my Slow Cooker Potato Soup, Street Corn off the Cob or my Slow Cooker Beef Stew.
Thank you so much for stopping by! Please stay a while and check out some of my other recipes. I hope you come back soon! – Regan
The post above may contain affiliate links. I could make a small commission off of these links. Thank you so much for your support!
5 thoughts on “Summer Corn Chowder – Full of Flavor and Delicious”
Regan been looking for a Corn Chowder recipe and this looks real good. I’m allergic to dairy so I’ll use coconut milk for the heavy cream and turkey bacon for the regular bacon. Since it renders very little grease, I’ll use olive oil to saute the onion and garlic. I’ll let you know how it turned out!