If you have kids, and your kids are anything at all like mine, you are facing a constant battle when it comes to meal time. My kids would literally eat the same three meals every day and be perfectly content. Because I apparently like to make things harder for myself, I am always trying to come up with new ideas of things that I can cook for my kids that they will love. Guess what – this wasn’t one of those things. I made this pizza grilled cheese and thought my kids were going to go crazy over it. They. Wouldn’t. Even. Touch. It. Now I know that if they had tried it, they would have loved it, but oh well. Even though my kids didn’t eat it, my husband and I did, and we both fell in love. If your kids are a little more adventurous than mine, I bet they will love it to. If not, I know you will!
This sandwich could really be customized to your cravings. If you have a different cheese that you have been wanting to try, go ahead and throw it in! You could also mix it up with different types of bread, or even add some veggies to the grilled cheese. Let me know how yours turns out! Enjoy!
Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices bread
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 4 slices American cheese
- 24 pepperonis
- 4 tbsp pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- extra pizza sauce for dipping
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Spread butter evenly on one side of each slice of bread. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on buttered side of each piece of bread and gently press it into the butter to help it stick.
- For each sandwich, lay one slice of bread, butter and parmesan side down in the hot skillet. On the unbuttered side of the bread, place a slice of American cheese. Top each slice of American Cheese with 6 pepperonis spaced out evenly. Top pepperonis with 1 tbsp pizza sauce and top pizza sauce with 1/4 mozzarella cheese. Put the other slice of bread on top, butter and parmesan cheese side up.
- When the bottom piece of bread has become golden brown, flip the sandwich and cook until the other side is golden brown as well.
- Remove from skillet, slice in half and serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping.