Pork chops have never really been my thing, until now that is. I have both cooked and eaten them so many different ways, but I have never come across a version that I REALLY liked. I had definitely never eaten a pork chop and craved it later. Tonight, that all changed. These Smothered Pork Chops may actually be the only way that I eat pork chops from here on out.
I always recommend using bone-in pork loin chops. They are a leaner cut of meat and the bone will give you so much great flavor. These are usually thicker cut chops, but please alter your cooking time accordingly if your chops are on the thinner side. Because this is a lean cut of meat, it can dry out very easily.
This is a great dinner option for a low-carb diet! Just pair it with some veggies and enjoy a nice filling meal. If you are all about those carbs like me, add some mashed potatoes to your plate, throw on your stretchy pants and enjoy. Either way you do it, make sure you get a nice ladle full of those onions and that sauce and pour it all over.
These are the ingredients that you will need for these smothered pork chops:
- Pork chops
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Beef stock
- Swiss cheese
I recommend these products for this recipe:
I would love to hear what you think of this. Please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thank you and enjoy!
Smothered Pork Chops
- 4 pork chops Bone-in
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp butter unsalted
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 1/2 cup beef stock divided
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400º and grease a 13×9 inch dish. Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Season pork chops with: salt, pepper, thyme and garlic powder. Add olive oil to skillet and then brown pork chops for approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove pork chops from skillet and place in the casserole dish. Using the same skillet , increase heat to medium-high and add: butter, onions and 1/4 cup of beef stock. Cook, stirring occasionally for approximately 10 minutes, or until onions begin to brown.
- When onions have begun to brown, add flour to skillet and stir well. Add the rest of the beef stock (1 1/4cup) and bring to a boil. Place 2 slices of Swiss cheese on each pork chop and then pour onion mixture evenly on top of that.
- Bake at 400º for approximately 15 minutes depending on the thickness of your chops.
Thank you so much for stopping by! Please stay a while and check out some of my other recipes. I hope you some back soon! – Regan
The post above may contain affiliate links. I could make a small commission off of these links. Thank you so much for your support!