Molasses cookies are delicious, but one of the worst parts of making them is waiting for the dough to chill. This is an important step for making cookies, because without it the cookies would spread way too much. The beauty of making these Molasses Cookie Bars with Glaze is that they are contained to a baking dish, so spreading is not a concern! These bars only take about 20 minutes from start to finish, and they are great for the holidays!
Here are some tips for making my Molasses Cookie Bars with Glaze:
- I used unsulphured molasses to make these bars (Grandma’s brand). You can use molasses with sulphur, but the color of the bars will be darker.
- This same recipe can be used to make cookies, but you will need to allow the dough to chill for about 2 hours before you roll the dough into balls.
- These bars will stay fresh when stored at room temperature for up to a week or you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
These are the ingredients you will need for this delicious treat:
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Powdered sugar
I recommend the following products to make this recipe:
I would love to hear what you think of this. Please let me know in the comments below, and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thank you and enjoy!
Molasses Cookie Bars with Glaze
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter melted
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325° and grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar with your mixer. Add in the molasses, egg and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Pour the dough into the baking dish and spread it out. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Whisk the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Add a little more milk if needed to thin the glaze out slightly.
- When the bars are out of the oven, spread the glaze on top and allow to cool before slicing.
This recipe is based on the Seriously Soft Molasses Cookie recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
If you like this recipe, you may also like my Pumpkin Crumb Cake with Glaze, Butter Pecan Poke Cake or my Sopapilla Cheesecake.
Thank you so much for stopping by. Please stay a while and check out some of my other recipes. I hope you come back soon! – Regan
The post above may contain affiliate links. I could make a small commission off of these links. Thank you so much for your support!
1 thought on “Molasses Cookie Bars with Glaze – Perfect for the Holidays!”
I dislike making cookies they take too long but this recipe was wonderful👌