For dinner last night, I made my Penne Alla Vodka. I was in the mood to head out to a delicious Italian restaurant, but with four kids on a busy Wednesday night, that’s just not in the cards for us. I decided to recreate that experience at home. One thing that I always crave at an Italian restaurant is garlic knots. They are so delicious, my kids love them, and they really are so much better when made from scratch.
To make these, you really just make a pizza dough. You will cut that dough into 24 equal pieces and then roll those pieces into rope shapes. When I was doing this, I felt like I was a kid making play-doh snakes again. You then just tie those pieces into little knots. It really is pretty simple! The most important thing to remember is to work on a lightly floured surface at all times to keep your dough from sticking.
I hope you love these garlic knots as much as we do!
- 3/4 cup warm water not hot
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 package active yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus more to oil bowl
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Combine the warm water, sugar and yeast in a bowl and mix. Let it rest for approximately 5 minutes, or until it becomes frothy.
- Add the olive oil, salt and flour and mix well using the dough hook of your mixer. Once the mixture has become one cohesive ball, remove it from the mixer and place it on a slightly floured surface. Knead the dough for approximately 5 minutes.
- Oil the inside of a large bowl with olive oil. Transfer the dough ball to the bowl and roll it around to coat it with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot in your kitchen. Allow the dough to rise for approximately 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, move it to a slightly floured surface. Roll the dough out slightly. Cut the dough into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough between your hands to create rope like pieces. Tie each piece into a knot and place them on a greased baking pan or one that is lined with a baking mat. Cover the knots with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and allow them to double in size for approximately another hour.
- When the knots have doubled in size, preheat the oven to 350º. Once the oven is preheated, bake the knots for 10-12 minutes or until the begin to brown slightly.
- While the knots are in the oven, melt the butter and mix the garlic powder and parsley in well.
- When the knots are done, brush them with the butter mixture. Let them cool for a couple minutes, and enjoy!
9 thoughts on “Garlic Knots”