Easy, one dish, cheesy, delicious AND low carb?! This fantastic French Onion Chicken is what weeknight dinner dreams are made of. Chicken and caramelized onions cook together in a “French Onion” sauce and it is all topped with melted Swiss cheese. Throw everything in one oven safe skillet and “BOOM!” you have your family’s new favorite recipe in the rotation. We like to serve this up with a simple fresh side salad (and maybe a warm loaf of bread) and dig in!
Tips for making French Onion Chicken:
- If you have one, use a cast iron skillet! Cast iron skillets are so versatile and they are perfect for this recipe because they can go from stove to oven with no issue.
- If you don’t have beef stock on hand, beef broth will work as well. The flavor isn’t quite as concentrated in beef broth, but it will still be delicious.
- Be sure to let your onions caramelize. This may be the most important part of this recipe. Caramalized onions have a very unique sweet flavor that would surely be missed!
- Don’t skimp on the cheese! 8 slices may seem like a lot, but that distinct Swiss flavor is so delicious!
This recipe would go great with:
Or, just a fresh salad and some warm bread
Products I recommend for this recipe:
Cast iron skillet – everyone needs one! I use mine almost every day.
I would love to hear what you think of this. Please let me know in the comments below, and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thank you and enjoy!
French Onion Chicken
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 onions sliced
- 1½ lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ tsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1½ cup beef stock
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- parsley optional – for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- Heat a cast iron or other oven safe skillet on the stove over medium high heat. Add the butter and melt. Add the sliced onions and sautee about 15 minutes, or until the onions begin to caramalize.
- Reduce the heat to medium and push the onions to one side of the skillet. Add the diced chicken to the other side. Season the chicken with the salt, pepper and thyme. Continue to sautee the chicken and onions until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the minced garlic and combine the garlic, chicken and onions in the skillet. Sautee about 2 more minutes. Sprinkle the flour over everything in the skillet and mix in. Pour the beef stock in and mix again. Allow to come to a boil.
- Remove from heat and top with the swiss cheese slices. Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.