Pasta is by and far my favorite comfort food, but it is (usually) a guilty pleasure. Many pasta sauces are loaded with way too many carbs, calories, unnecessary sugar and preservatives. Pasta sauce is one of those things that is so easy to make, but many of us tend to pick up a jar of the pre-made stuff out of convenience. This Easy & Healthy Tomato sauce will change all of that! This sauce takes only a few minutes of active cooking time, and just 30 minutes to allow all of the flavors to simmer together. After that, you have a delicious homemade tomato sauce that is considerably better for you and better tasting than anything you will find in the grocery store. With only 92 calories and 9 net carbs per serving, this is a sauce that you don’t have to feel bad about!
Tips for making this recipe:
- Get the good tomatoes! Spend just a little more on the canned San Marzano tomatoes. Closer attention is paid to the quality of these tomatoes when they are picked, so you are left with a better tasting sauce. After all, this is the most important ingredient in this recipe!
- Fresh basil is a must in this recipe. Your sauce will be fine if you use the dried stuff, but it will be AMAZING with fresh. With such a short ingredient list, you really want to use the best.
- Don’t skimp on the simmer time. Give you sauce time to reduce slightly and for the flavors to really come together. This will give you time to prep your pasta and salad!
- Serve this with any of your favorite pastas, meats, zoodles or really whatever you want!
Recipes that would go well with Easy & Healthy Tomato Sauce:
Rosemary Parmesan Focaccia Bread
Products I recommend for this recipe:
I would love to hear what you think of this. Please let me know in the comments below, and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thank you and enjoy!
Easy & Healthy Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 56 oz canned whole peeled tomatoes San Marzano
- 1 large bunch basil chopped
- Heat a large sauce pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil and garlic and sautee until the garlic becomes fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and increase the heat to high. Allow to come to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add in the salt, pepper and basil. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes. Use a potato masher, fork or wooden spoon to smash down the tomatoes and serve.
If you like this recipe, you may also like my Jumbo Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs, Skillet Pizza Chicken, Rigatoni Bolognase, The Best Alfredo Sauce or my Penne Alla Vodka.
2 thoughts on “Easy & Healthy Tomato Sauce – Delicious and Easy to Make”