When I think of the perfect home cooked meal, I am imagining anything saucy, flavorful and cheesy. These enchiladas are all of those things and then so much more, and that’s why they are called The Best Easy Chicken Enchiladas. The homemade sauce is really what makes these enchiladas. Making homemade enchilada sauce is really a very easy thing to do, and it is so much better than the stuff you can find at the grocery store. This is an excellent weeknight dinner recipe that comes together quickly, but tastes like something that took a lot longer to make.
Tips for making The Best Easy Chicken Enchiladas:
- Don’t skip the homemade sauce! It is so very quick and easy to make, and the taste is sooo much better than the canned stuff. You won’t regret the extra step.
- You can boil and shred you own chicken, or you can use shredded rotisserie chicken, whatever makes more sense for you.
- I prefer flour tortillas. I like the taste and texture better, and they are easier to roll up. Feel free to use corn, though, if that’s you thing. Either will work.
- Also, feel free to use any shredded cheese that you like. I used a Mexican blend, but cheddar or Monterey Jack would be great, too.
- These enchiladas are excellent when topped with sour cream, hot salsa, more fresh cilantro, queso, avocado or guacamole.
Other recipes that will go well with this one:
Homemade Restaurant Style Salsa
Products I recommend for The Best Easy Chicken Enchiladas:
I would love to hear what you think about this recipe. Let me know in the comments below, and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thank you and enjoy!
The Best Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce minced more or less to taste
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 lb cooked chicken shredded
- ½ cup cilantro
- 8 small tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese I used Mexican blend
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and garlic and sautee until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the minced chipotles, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and chicken stock. Mix togeter and allow to come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and allow the sauce to simmer.
- Preheat the oven to 400° and grease a large baking dish.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and diced onion. Sautee until the onions become translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the shredded chicken, cilantro and 1 cup of the enchilada sauce and sautee 2 minutes.
- Put approximately ¼ cup of the chicken mixture in each tortilla and roll the tortilla up. Place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat this for each of the tortillas. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the rolled up enchiladas and sprinkle with the shredded cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
If you like this recipe, you may also like my Mexican Chicken and Biscuits Skillet, Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa, Instant Pot Pork Carnitas, Guacamole Stuffed Chicken or my Cilantro Lime Shrimp Tacos.
3 thoughts on “The Best Easy Chicken Enchiladas with Homemade Sauce”