Lasagna is great, but making it is honestly a pain. There are so many dishes involved! It also takes a pretty long time, so it is definitely not something I am going to throw together for a quick meal during the week. This lasagna solves both of those problems. The entire thing is made in just this skillet. There is no pot used to boil noodles, no colander to strain them and not even an extra dish to bake the lasagna in. It also cooks entirely on the stove, and takes much less time than a traditional lasagna.
If you prefer sausage in your lasagna over ground beef, it is fine to make that substitution. Keep in mine that the sausage may produce more grease than the lean ground beef, so you will probably need to drain the meat after browning. Also, feel free to add peppers or any other veggies that you like to this lasagna. I would love to hear how you made it your own!
We always top our lasagna with fresh grated parmesan and crushed red pepper and have warm garlic bread and a glass of red wine on the side. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef 93% lean
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 oz cottage cheese low-fat
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 6 lasagna noodles uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- Heat a large skillet with a lid over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and onion and, while breaking beef up, cook until beef is browned.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese and cream cheese and mix well. Set aside.
- Add marinara and water to skillet with beef and onion and mix well. Hold lasagna noodles over the skillet and break them up into approximately one inch pieces (this does not need to be exact). Mix the noodles into the sauce very well and be sure that all of the noodle pieces are covered.
- Reduce heat to low. Place about six dollops of the cream and cottage cheese mixture evenly separated around the skillet. Do not mix this in. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning evenly on top. Cover the skillet and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until the noodles are tender.
- After the noodles are tender, sprinkle the mozzarella on top, cover and simmer for five additional minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with grated Parmesan and some hot garlic bread and enjoy!
5 thoughts on “Skillet Lasagna”