So I think I am VERY late to this party, but I recently learned that you could make a cake with only a box of cake mix and a can of soda. When I found this out, my mind was BLOWN and I just had to give it a try. If I am being honest, I was a little disappointed. The end result tasted great, but it was just slightly dry. I decided to improve on this hack just slightly by adding in sour cream, and I will say that I was blown away by the end result. To make things even better, I went ahead and added some homemade orange cream cheese icing on top, and it was like a party in my mouth! See my recipe for Orange Soda Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Icing below.
Here are some tips for making my Orange Soda Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Icing:
- I prefer to use a box mix for recipes like this one. They are delicious and just make my life a little easier. If you would prefer, you could absolutely make this cake with a homemade white cake base!
- Now I know this is going to sound weird because I just recommended that you use a box mix for your cake, but I really prefer homemade icings. The store-bought stuff just never really stacks up to what you can EASILY make yourself. WIth that being said, you are welcome to use a pre-made icing if you would prefer.
- If you want to make the color of this cake really pop, mix in a few drops of orange food coloring!
- Please be sure to store this cake in the refrigerator as the icing does need to stay cold.
These are the ingredients you will need for this soda pop cake:
I recommend the following products for this cake recipe:
I would love to hear what you think of this. Please let me know in the comments below, and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thank you and enjoy!
Orange Soda Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Icing
- 16.25 oz white cake mix
- ½ cup sour cream
- 12 oz orange soda
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 tsp orange extract
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a 13×9 baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, sour cream and orange soda. Mix until well combined and pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the center is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Beat the softened cream cheese and softened butter with your mixer until smooth and well combined. Add in the orange extract and beat again. Slowly add in the confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time and continue to beat until smooth. Spread on the cake when it is cool. Store in the refrigerator.
If you like this recipe, you may also like my Orange Creamsicle Crunch Cheesecake, Orange Cream Smoothie or my Strawberry Cream Poke Cake – Cream Cheese Topping!
Thank you so much for stopping by! Please stay a while and check out some of my other recipes. I hope you come back soon! – Regan
The post above may contain affiliate links. I could make a small commission from these links. Thank you so much for your support!