There is something so comforting about a big bowl of hot soup after a long cold day. Tomato soup is great all on it’s own, but I decided to jazz it up just a little by creating this Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup. This soup is very easy to make and ready in only 30 minutes, so it is a great simple weeknight dinner that you can feel good about serving to your family. Serve this up with a fresh salad, grilled cheese or some crusty bread and enjoy!
Here are some tips for making my Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup:
- I like to use fresh tortellini for this soup. You can usually find fresh packaged tortellini in the deli section of your grocery store. If you would rather, you could use frozen or even dried tortellini.
- Because we like our food a little spicy, I use a good amount of crushed red pepper in this recipe. If you would rather not have that spice in your soup, feel free to reduce the amount of red pepper that you use, or even leave it out completely.
- The fresh basil really makes this soup special. If you are in a pinch or can not find fresh basil, you can use dried, but I REALLY recommend using fresh.
- This soup is great when topped with some parmesan, mozzarella or ricotta cheese. I also like to add more fresh basil and crushed red pepper on top for an extra kick of flavor.
- I love freezing soups to have a quick meal all winter long. Allow this soup to cool completely in the fridge before freezing. It will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
These are some other recipes that I think will go great with this one:
I recommend the following products for making this recipe:
I would love to hear what you think of this! Please let me know in the comments below, and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thank you and enjoy!
Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper optional
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 42.5 oz crushed tomatoes 28oz can + 14.5oz can
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 18oz cheese tortellini fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 15 basil leaves roughly torn
- Heat a large pot over medium heat on the stove. Add the oil and onion and sautee until the onion becomes translucent. Add the garlic, red pepper and Italian seasoning and sautee 2 minutes longer.
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the crushed and diced tomatoes, broth, salt and pepper. Allow to come to a slight boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the tortellini and allow to simmer approximately 7 minutes longer, or until the pasta is cooked through. Add in the heavy cream and basil and allow to simmer 3 minutes longer. Enjoy!
Thank you so much for stopping by! Please stay a while and check out some of my other recipes. I hope you come back soon! – Regan