Strawberry season is almost upon us, and I am oh so excited! Three foods represent summer to me: sweet corn on the cob, steamed blue crabs (I miss them so much out here in the midwest!) and fresh strawberries. I am yearning for summer, so I decided to make a recipe to remind me that it is just around the corner. This strawberry streusel has a delicious Golden Oreo crust, a whole pound of strawberries and a decadent streusel topping.
- 15 golden Oreos crushed very fine
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 lb strawberries capped and cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 tbsp water room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350º and grease an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Combine the crushed Oreos and melted butter and press down into the bottom of the baking dish to form a crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, combine the cut strawberries, cornstarch and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Toss to ensure the strawberries are well coated and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar and flour. Add the water and butter and cut the butter in using a fork until the mixture becomes crumbly. Set aside.
- When the crust is done, remove it from the oven and pour the strawberry mixture on top. Sprinkle the streusel mixture on top of the strawberries.
- Bake at 350º for approximately 25 minutes, or until the streusel topping has become golden brown. Allow to cool for 30 minutes at room temperature, and at least an hour in the refrigerator before serving.