One of the hardest things about hosting a holiday gathering, is managing your oven space. I feel like I am always trying to plan everything out just right to make sure that I will be able to fit everything in the oven and have it ready on time, and there is always that one guest who arrives with something that they need to stick in the oven. I dream of having double ovens one day, but I don’t have them now, so I have had to get creative with my holiday meal planning. These Slow Cooker Au Gratin Potatoes cook completely in the slow cooker, so oven space is freed, and you can set it and forget it. It’s always nice to have one less thing to worry about!
These potatoes are really a great side dish for any time of the year, but I felt like they would be a perfect option for an Easter get-together. They have just the right amount of cheesiness and a little kick of flavor from the added sour cream. When you cook these in your slow cooker, they will start to look a little too liquidy – don’t freak out! That liquid will reabsorb. After they are finished cooking, you just need to turn the heat off and let them rest for a little bit. After the sauce and cheese has thickened, you can turn the heat back to “warm” so that the potatoes do not get cold. I hope you enjoy!
You will need these ingredients for my Slow Cooker Au Gratin Potatoes:
- Heavy cream
- Chicken broth
- Sour cream
- Blask pepper
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Cheddar cheese
I recommend the following products for this recipe:
I would love to hear what you think of this. Please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to select a star rating. Thank you and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Au Gratin Potatoes
- 2.5 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and sliced
- 5 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Grease the insert of your slow cooker with cooking spray. Peel and slice the potatoes into approximately 1/8 inch slices. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cream, broth, sour cream, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Create one layer of potato slices in the bottom of the slow cooker. The potatoes should overlap slightly. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the Monterey Jack and 1/3 cup of the cheddar on top. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over the cheese. Repeat this process with two more layers of potatoes, cheese and cream.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. When the cooking time is over, turn the crock pot off. Allow the potatoes to rest for 30 minutes before serving. The potatoes will seem very liquidy – this is okay. The cheese and sauce will thicken and reabsorb as the potatoes rest.
Thank you so much for stopping by! Please stay a while and check out some of my other recipes. I hope you come back soon! – Regan
The post above may contain affiliate links. I could make a small comission off of these links. Thank you so much for your support!