Pasta is my thing. If I could pick one type of food to have for the rest of my life (without the calories), it would most definitely be pasta. If you don’t know, gnocchi is a type of pasta made from potatoes. It is almost like a little potato dumpling. Gnocchi is light and fluffy and just plain delicious. This sauce is something that I came up with one day just based on what I had to work with. The Gnocchi with Spicy Tomato Cream Sauce recipe has evolved with each time that I have made the dish. I have simplified it considerably and it is so delicious and easy that it keeps showing up in our weekly dinner rotation.
This is a very simple dish to make, but it tastes like something that took a lot more effort. The sauce is made by practically just adding the ingredients and allowing them to simmer together. If you like to make your own gnocchi, go for it, but store-bought will work just fine. The breadcrumb topping is just three ingredients combined, and it takes the gnocchi to a whole other level. There is a pretty good amount of red pepper in this, because we love spicy foods. If you aren’t as much of a spice fan, cut back on or even eliminate the red pepper.
These are some products that I recommend for this Gnocchi with Spicy Tomato Cream Sauce recipe:
Serve this pasta on its own, with a side salad or fresh bread and enjoy! Please leave a comment letting me know how it turns out for you!
Gnocchi with Spicy Tomato Cream Sauce and Breadcrumb Topping
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 16 oz gnocchi store bought or homemade
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Sautee for about 2 minutes, or until garlic starts to brown. Add the chicken broth, both cans of tomatoes, basil, salt and black pepper. Allow the sauce to come to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Let the sauce simmer for about 30 minutes, or until it has reduced by half.
- While the sauce is simmering, make the breadcrumb topping. Combine the melted butter, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- After the sauce has reduced by half, add in the heavy cream and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Mix well and let the sauce continue to simmer. Cook the gnocchi according to the package directions. When the gnocchi is done, drain it and add it to the sauce.
- Plate the gnocchi and top it with the breadcrumb mixture. Enjoy!
Thank you so much for stopping by! Please stay a while and check out some of my other recipes. I hope you come back soon! – Regan
The post above may contain affiliate links. I could make a small commission off of these links. Thank you so much for your support!